Grace Episcopal Church – as we know it today- was consecrated on June 28, 1918 by the Right Reverend Robert A. Gibson, then Bishop of Virginia.
Grace Church was actually founded in 1855, and from that time until 1918 a simple, white frame church stood where the existing church stands today.
Then on June 28, 1918, even as the country was embroiled in “The Great War,” the faithful of Whittle Parish & the surrounding area were celebrating the consecration of their new church. On that day, the attending bishops “led a procession of clergy through the open air to the front door of the Church, where Bishop Gibson symbolically knocked three times (in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost)”…and the door to the new Grace Episcopal Church was opened.
Read the first-hand account of that splendid day here, in a booklet created from the original 1918 print (special thanks to parishioner and trustee, Robert deT. Lawrence, IV).